The Stranger Video Book

The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus - VideoBook

It's been called "the greatest story ever told." Now the central message of the Bible is brought to life in this eleven-hour online Bible study. This self-paced course has been adapted from the popular award winning DVD series - The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus

Your teacher will take these individual elements and chronologically tie them together into one universal drama. Whether you have significant Bible knowledge, or have never read "the Book"—this online series is for you.

Own this VideoBook Course on DVD Everything you need to study the Bible, all in one package. Share with family and friends and enjoy watching in the comfort of your home.

Buy this VideoBook Online

Sunday, November 16, 2008

When someone uses the wrong word?



Hello Everyone,

I'm working on Part 3 of "Measure of a Man" and hopefully you'll all enjoy the read before we all move on to more great topics lol.

I wanted to ask you guys your thoughts about something. I'm a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) so it's in my nature to always pay attention to how a person communicates and how they speak. I'm sorry but it's not something I can turn off. It's my profession and I'm always "working" even when I'm not at work. LOL

So the other day I was having a conversation with a friend of a friend and they used the wrong word over and over again during the converstation. I felt so strongly about telling the person the correct word, but I didn't want to embarrass them. I left the converstation thinking about what the person said wrong and I almost felt it was my duty as a SLP to find a way to inform them of it because I could not fathom it being said again with someone else.

I just wondered what you do when this happens?

Do you let the person go on with out being corrected knowing that they will say it again and again and again? lolol

Who have you corrected, how did they respond when you told them, and would you want someone to correct you?

Just_Wondering about what you'd do in my shoes......

PS: I may start a funny series of stories as an SLP working with my kiddies (3-5 year olds)

11 comments:

Mrs Count said...

I just say the word correctly in my response. I don't point out that they used the word incorrectly because I don't want to offend them. Hopefully they hear I've used it differently and they fix it. If not, oh well!

Anonymous said...

I think if you know the person well enough you can let them know b/c then they will know you are simply looking out for them. If it is someone I do not know well i wouldn't feel comfortable correcting them.

--Bellefille

♥ CG ♥ said...

Depending on my relationship with the person, I either 1) do the same thing as Therapeutic Musings (if they don't get the drift that's on them), 2) correct them with a little joke thrown in so I don't insult them (close friends/fam) or ignore it.

One of my coworkers uses 'irregardless' often. He's a sweet guy, but I'm not comfortable making a joke about it.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I would want someone to tell me. Sometimes, I write faster than I think and then go, "That's not what I meant." I'd find a kind way to tell them.

CC said...

I correct people all the time, especially my family. Even though sometimes it annoys them, I look at it as I'm just looking out for you. And they hold nothing back if I slip up from time to time, you just have to roll with the punches.

Word to the wise- when correcting try to be as tactful as can be. My sister left a scratch on my arm one time. Big OPPSY!

LISA VAZQUEZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there!

This is an interesting dilemma...if you know the person very well AND know that they would not be offended, then yes, you can correct them.

Some people are highly offended if someone who clearly has more education than they do starts correcting them.

Some people don't think there is anything wrong with sounding ignorant. Even if you give them the correct word or verb conjugation, they could care less about improving their English.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I try my best to correct the person after the second time. I would hope someone does the same for me.

Anonymous said...

if therapeutic musings method seems to be abrasive or too candid for you. then ask the 3rd party that closest to that individual make the correction for you. its tedious but it maybe affective.

Anonymous said...

I'm no SLP, but poor grammar and a poor use of words truly bothers me. I'm not too big on correcting peoples grammar and/or English. It irks me when people say "mines" and "conversate"...I hate those words and some others.

♥ Ms. Kendall ♥ said...

My bf says "somewheres" instead of "somewhere". It drives me up the wall! Especially when he's around my family or meeting my friends. I've tried to correct him but he can't change.